Interlibrary Loan is a sharing of resources among libraries. Interlibrary Loan makes it possible to gain access to the collections of libraries across the world.
Any Wichita Public Library cardholder may place requests through interlibrary loan. Online requests may be made if accounts have no overdue items and no fees due. Please contact library staff if you have a problem placing a request.
Interlibrary loan allows customers access to material from libraries across the nation. Items that are not owned by the Wichita Public Library or items owned by the Wichita Public Library that are lost, missing, or overdue by more than 2 weeks may be requested through interlibrary loan. Some materials may be available via fax or electronic submission. The Library cannot guarantee when items arrive. Please allow at least two weeks.
Here are tips on its use for maximum results.
Interlibrary loan is excellent for:
- Articles and books from academic or specialty publishers
- Older titles and formats, such as VHS or audio cassettes
- Recent or popular titles not on current bestseller lists
- Documentary films
More competition exists for the following and it becomes more difficult to obtain:
- Television shows
- All forms of popular music
- Movies on DVD & Blu-Ray
- Books on compact disc or Playaways
- New releases in movies, music and books
- Current bestsellers
The Wichita Public Library does not charge for using the interlibrary loan service; however, some lending libraries charge a fee. If you have ordered your interlibrary loan request online, you will be contacted if there are any fees associated with your request before it is shipped. The Library will not exceed the amount you wish to pay. When completing a paper form, you can indicate the "maximum you will pay."
Requests can be made online through the Wichita Public Library catalog*, or can be submitted using an Interlibrary Loan Form (PDF). The form may be submitted at any library location, mailed in, or faxed to (316) 262-4540. Requests cannot be processed over the telephone.
*Requests for newspaper or magazine articles, microfilm, or a specific volume of a multi-part or multi-year publication cannot be made online. If you are interested in these types of material, please submit a paper interlibrary loan form (PDF) or speak with a library staff member for assistance.
To make a request online if the item is not in our library catalog, or not available to be checked out, use the following instructions:
- Open the link to Select Databases that is located beneath the search boxes.
- Check WorldCat (OCLC) in addition to the WPL catalog and choose Set Selected Databases.
- Search for the item you want. Your search results will include items in the WPL catalog as well as items listed in WorldCat. Select the WorldCat holdings
- Make certain to locate the format (book, DVD, VHS, CD, etc) you are interested in. Once you’ve found the record of the item you wish to request, select the option to Place Request
- Choose your preferred pickup location from a dropdown menu and select submit request
- If the item is owned by Wichita Public Library, you will be prompted to place a local hold request. Select Yes to place a hold on a Wichita Public Library copy; select No if the Library’s copy cannot be borrowed. Select Continue and note the important service information
- Select Continue again and your order will be placed
You will be able to see your interlibrary loan orders in your hold request list.
To verify the availability of articles, obituaries, birth announcements, etc., from older newspapers or magazines, check with the General Reference desk of the Central Library. Information on more recent articles and publications can be found through the Library's Online Reference Sources.
You are allowed three active Interlibrary Loan requests.
Most requests are filled in two to four weeks depending on whether the item is immediately available from the lending library.
You will receive an automated phone or e-mail notice as soon as your request is available for pickup. If you cannot be reached by e-mail or phone, a notice will be mailed. Be sure to pick up your request as soon as you receive notification to have the maximum time possible with the item.
You can monitor your request online by reviewing your account on the Library Catalog. Your request can also be monitored using the Library’s telephone notification system at (316) 262-6991.
Loan periods are determined by the lending library so they will vary. Please note that Interlibrary Loan materials cannot be renewed, and overdue fines are $1 per day per item.
You will be notified as soon as the item arrives or if we are unable to locate a lending library. Because of the high volume of requests we process, the Interlibrary Loan office is unable to offer status updates. Your request will be updated on your customer account. You may contact any library service desk for an update to your request.
More than one lending library may be used to fill your order. This means items will rarely arrive at the same time. The items may have different due dates, so please pick up each item when it arrives.
You will be contacted by staff if your order has not been filled within two months to ask if you would like to reorder the item. Your interlibrary loan order will expire if the order is unable to be filled within six months; you will receive a cancellation notice.
Interlibrary loan items have a $1 per day overdue fee with a maximum fee of $30. Contact Library staff if your interlibrary loan item is lost or damaged. The lending library will provide the replacement fee for the item. All lost or damaged interlibrary loan orders are assessed an additional $25 processing fee.
Contact the Central Library's Circulation section at 261-8508 to cancel an interlibrary loan request.
Back to Top